Thursday, January 17, 2008

Why Didn't I Do It Sooner?

When I first found out I was pregnant, I thought, "I should see if I can find some sales to save some money on maternity clothes." I found dress pants at Lane Bryant for $20 a piece---they had only half panels that are more like giant, hard elastic bands. I figured they would be fine. Little did I know! I was so uncomfortable yesterday at work! I had this conversation with myself:

"If you aren't comfortable, you should go buy new pants."
"But it doesn't make sense to spend more money when you are going to have the baby in such a short amount of time."
"Does it really matter? You need to be comfortable. You have been avoiding wearing these pants because you are so uncomfortable in them."
"I know but I just hate to buy something to only have them useful for 5 weeks!"
"So what?! You are constantly pulling them up and then struggle to be comfortable because they immediately fall back down, and to top it all off, the band pushes your undies down, and you always feel like you need to yank everything back."
"You're right. I am going to go buy new pants!"

So I went out last night and bought a new pair of pants. I should have down it sooner. I am much more comfortable today. So my advice---don't buy all your clothes at once because you aren't doing yourself or your budget a favor!

3 comments:

cmae said...

Now THAT is the kind of advice I wish they would publish in those "girlfriends"-type pregnancy books - I don't need to hear all about the excess gas, what the placenta looks like when it's delivered, the constipation, etc. Helpful tips like this are what I want to read!

Melanie said...

Pardon me while I fall on the floor and writhe around in grossed-outness. I think once we all finish up having our babies and stuff, we should write a book about pregnancy that offers PRACTICAL advice about continuing to live your life while pg, and does not simply attempt to out-do all the other pg books in grossitude. I'm talking to you, Jenny McCarthy! (I haven't even read her book and I know...)

Kate Stoddard said...

You did the right thing. Being comfortable right now is the most important thing. Even if you wear the same damn pants every day, be comfortable. And make sure you bring them when you have the baby because trust me, you will still need them for a while.