Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Time Tables are Rubbish

When we found out we were pregnant, we spent a lot of time reading books about parenting and what to expect. Even after Aiden was born- for probably the first 6 months, I spent a lot of time reading those kinds of books. Now he is a year old, and I never read those books---just a few pages out of our Parenting magazine (which I am not sure how we acquired). Actually, I can't seem the find the time to just read. The point is, I spent all this time worrying about what Aiden could or couldn't do. Now I just worry without having the books---I just have other kids to compare him to.

I KNOW YOU SHOULDN'T DO THAT. I know! I know! I know! But- when you hear one parent say that they think their kid is behind and this kid can do way more than your own kid or you see another kid that is only a month older doing way more...it makes you wonder---well, it does for me anyway. Example: why can't my kid sign milk? I show him the movies, I make the sign every day, I even have him do it. Why can't he do it? What did that mother or father do to get him or her to do it? Is something wrong with Aiden? Is something wrong with me? Is daycare not teaching him anything?

I know it is just power of the course...and I know it is (in a sense) all rubbish...I know I shouldn't worry until he is really old enough to know better...but I am human, and I want to make sure I give him everything I can. I know that this kind of worrying is a lot better than the worrying I will have when he takes a car out for a drive on his own. But man---parenting is hard. I know in my heart I am doing the best I can, but I guess you only stay accountable and responsible if you evaluate yourself.

No comments: