Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Rewards

I have often given the same response when people ask me if it is rewarding to be a parent.  My response is that when you get pregnant, you don't know what kind of child you will have.  I even go to the extremes of saying, "You don't know if you are going to have a serial killer or the next president."  My point is that as much as you think you can influence your child, etc., there are still things you can't control like autism, ADHD, other behavioral things, etc.  I do also say that while some children seem to brighten your day over and over with one thing or another, you can also have a child that can be hard.  Not just hard to put down but give you as a parent many obstacles.  Aiden is that child.

I love him.  I love him with all of my heart.  Aiden has to hug and kiss on his terms.  His bouts of affection are rare.  When I get them, I cherish them.  His development delays made some days very trying.  This morning, it was a 30 minute battle to get him to pick up his pile of legos.  Saturday, it took two hours.

My point is- as a parent, the rewards are often small moments that brighten your heart.  They might not be daily but I can tell you this- I hold onto them.

Here is something that I am very proud of and makes me smile and feel like I have been rewarded.

Aiden's recent drawing.


2 comments:

Kada said...

Beautifully said, as usual.
Your writing always helps me to interact better with my friends/relatives children who are similar to Aiden. Thank you.
Thank you also for the reminder to enjoy the little things in life.

Denise said...

Thank you!